PEER Leadership Summit
2019 Statewide Peer Leadership Summit
May 28 & 29, 2019
Tan-Tar-A Resort | Osage Beach
Register Now >> Click Here
There are many studies that validate the effectiveness of peer support. Research has proven that peer support helps improve individual recovery outcomes. Now more than ever, there is a great emphasis on recovery from mental illness and substance use disorders. MRN’s goal is to help create a statewide recovery oriented system of care in which long-term recovery is the predicted and expected outcome for all individuals who engage in the recovery process. We believe that the utilization of peers in various settings will assist in this goal.
This Summit was planned to:
- Create a peer statewide network consisting of engagement, sharing, learning, and networking;
- Promote excellence in statewide peer support services through collaboration, learning and strategizing;
- Empower and engage peer support providers in becoming active recovery advocates and leaders;
- Provide educational tools and resources that promote positive recovery outcomes.
- Inspire hope that people can and do find recovery
- Walk with people on their recovery journeys
- Dispel myths about what it means to have a substance use and/or mental health disorder
- Provide educational tools and resources
- Support people in identifying their goals, hopes, dreams, and assist in creating a roadmap for getting there
- Increase engagement in self-care, wellness, and self confidence
The role of the peer specialist complements, but does not duplicate or replace the roles of therapists, case managers, and other members of the recovery team. Peer specialist bring their own personal knowledge of what it is like to live and thrive with mental health issues and/or substance use disorders. They support individuals progress towards recovery and self-determined lives by sharing vital experiential information and real examples of the power of recovery. The sense of mutuality created through the sharing of experiences is influential in modeling recovery and offering hope.
WE INVITE ALL PEER SPECIALISTS, PEER SUPERVISORS, THOSE WHO WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE ROLE OF THE PEER, AND THOSE WHO WORK WITH PEERS ON A RECOVERY TEAM TO ATTEND.
To Register >> CLICK HERE